|The Relationship Between the UK and the EU|
All European Union (EU) countries monitor food for pesticide residues. To coordinate activities, each year the European Commission suggests some surveys for all member states to carry out in their own countries. These surveys are usually of fruit and vegetables.
Countries with large populations (such as the UK) test more samples than countries with smaller populations. The results from all the member states that take part are then published in a single report on the European Commission’s website. In EU surveys they may look for different pesticides than in the UK’s own surveys, because those pesticides were suggested by the European Commission. The European Commission’s main focus is checking residues against recently set MRLs. In some EU surveys they look for extra pesticides that the European Commission did not suggest. This is done so that pesticides that are used in the UK but not in other EU countries are included in the survey.
2007 Residue Reports Comparison
* Number of samples: The total number of samples analysed in 2007 was 74305.
* MRLs: Of the 74305 samples tested, 96.01% of the samples were compliant with the legal MRLs; 3.99% of the samples ..contained a residue that was above the relevant MRL.
* Number of pesticides analysed: 850
* Pesticides that exceeded their MRLs: azoxystrobin, carbendazim, chlorpropham, cypermethrin, cyprodinil, endosulfan, ..fenhexamid, fludioxomil, malathion, and propargite.
* Top 3 most frequently found pesticides: Chlorpyrifos, imazalil, and cyprodinil.
* Number of Samples: The total number of samples analysed in 2007 was 3909.
* Number of pesticides analysed: about 200
* MRLs: Of the 3909 samples tested, 98.02 % of the samples were compliant with the legal MRLs. 1.8% of the samples ..contained a residue that was above the relevant MRL.
* Pesticides that exceeded their MRLs: Diphenylamine, carbaryl, imidacloprid, chloropropham, fenitrothion, dichlorvos, ..chlorothalonil, dimethoate, omethoate, dithiocarbamates, methomyl, carbofuran, captan, acephate, methamidophos, dicofol, ..procymidone, chlormequat, iprodione, thiabendazole, chlorfenapyr, thiacloprid, folpet and acetamiprid.
* Top three most frequently found pesticides: Chlormequat, imazalil and carbendazim.