|What help is available for people who are chronically ill as a result of pesticide exposure?|
Chronic pesticide poisoning is not well understood. Many GPs will be unaware of pesticide poisoning as a possible cause of symptoms. However, they can investigate other possible causes of symptoms and may refer you to specialists, e.g. a neurologist or toxicology unit. If no cause can be identified, then any treatment offered is likely to be along the lines of ameliorating and managing symptoms.
There are a few private doctors, and alternative health practitioners, who recognise chronic pesticide poisoning as a cause of illness and offer a variety of tests and treatments. PAN UK does not endorse any particular diagnostic or treatment approaches. At the moment there is a lack of peer-reviewed evidence to say which tests are clinically valid or which treatments effective. This is not to say that some of them may not be helpful, only that there is a lack of scientific evidence to show that they are. Tests and treatments may be very expensive, and it is advisable to find out as much as possible before starting a course of treatment. See our leaflet Guidelines on seeing a private practitioner for more information.
PAN UK produces a quarterly newsletter for people affected by or concerned about pesticide exposure, and readers can make contact with others by placing a notice in the newsletter.