We are the only UK charity focused on tackling the problems caused by pesticides and promoting safe and sustainable alternatives in agriculture, urban areas, homes and gardens.
Our work includes campaigning for change in policy and practices at home and overseas, co-ordinating projects in the developing world which help smallholder farming communities escape ill-health and poverty caused by pesticides, and contributing our wealth of scientific and technical expertise to the work of other organisations who share our aims.
- To eliminate hazardous pesticides
- To reduce dependence on pesticides
- To promote ecologically sound alternatives to chemical pest control
- We have achieved global bans on lindane and endosulfan – hazardous pesticides that were once widely used.
- We have campaigned for the global removal of the most hazardous pesticides from use.
- We have established the Africa Stockpiles Programme to remove 50,000 tonnes of dangerous obsolete pesticides from Africa.
- We have increased the use of organic cotton in UK textiles and clothing which helps prevent deaths and ill-health from poisonous cotton pesticides in developing countries.
- We have strengthened the international commitment to deal with pesticide hazards.
A UK charity tackling the
problems caused by pesticides
What We Do
- We publish independent information on pesticide use and impacts for governments and decision makers, researchers, media, concerned citizens and other interested groups.
- We undertake and target research to promote better understanding of the cause and effects of pesticide problems.
- We undertake projects to demonstrate that growing food and textiles, and managing amenities, is possible without the use of hazardous pesticides.
- We promote effective and progressive policies to eliminate pesticide hazards, representing concerns .of users, consumers and exposed communities nationally and internationally.
- We support projects with partners in developing countries to demonstrate the efficacy of organic and low input production as a means of providing farmers with economically viable, socially acceptable and environmentally sound livelihoods.
PAN UK is part of a network of over 600 participating non-governmental organizations, institutions and individuals in over 90 countries working to replace the use of hazardous pesticides with ecologically sound and socially just alternatives.
PAN was founded in 1982 and has five independent, collaborating Regional Centres that implement its projects and campaigns:
PAN UK is an active member of PAN Europe.
Global Mobilisation Co-ordinator, Climate Action Network International
Barbara Dinham (Chair)
Independent Pesticide Consultant
Senior Research Fellow, Goldsmiths University London
Independent Campaign Strategist and
Farming Campaign Coordinator, Sustain
Independent Communications Consultant, former Head of Media Relations, Fairtrade Foundation
Founder Director of EcoS Consultancy Ltd.,
former Head of Research at The Organic Research Centre
Independent IPM Consultant
Managing Director and Chairman of Organic Farm Foods Ltd
Professor of Biology, University of Sussex
Meet Our Team
Get in Touch
The Brighthelm Centre